logo church    
 
 
   
 
"Sir, we wish to see Jesus" John 12:21
 
Fountain   FACILITIES

St. Bartholomew’s Church realizes that sometimes urgent situations can arise, such as storms, resulting in extensive damage to our physical plant and grounds. For this reason the Vestry has set up an Emergency Capital Fund to provide revenues to cover expenses arising from such emergencies.

The Vestry invites each member of the Parish to contribute, above and beyond the normal pledge, to this Fund.

This can be done by writing a check to St. Bartholomew’s Church noting that the contribution is for the Emergency Capital Fund. The check can either be (1) placed in one of the Improvement Fund envelopes [found in the “My Offering” box] for the months of January, May, and/or September, or (2) put in the Offering Plate during one of the church services, with “Emergency Capital Fund” noted on the memo line. Money going into the Emergency Capital Fund is for urgent and unanticipated situations resulting in extensive damages to current buildings and grounds. The Vestry appreciates your consideration of this matter.
Peter Loder


St. Bartholomew’s is blessed with fine facilities consisting of the Church proper, a Parish Hall with kitchen, and meeting rooms. The building is handicapped accessible from a ramp at the rear of the Church. The bathrooms are also handicapped accessible. The Church sits on nearly two acres of property close to the center of Ho-Ho-Kus. A Memorial Garden for the interment of cremains and a Rectory are also situated on the property.

Half of the land was donated to the Church in 1930 and the existing Parish Hall was built on the site at that time. It is a multi-purpose room that can accommodate 100 people. Meeting rooms were added to the rear of the Parish Hall in the early 1950’s. The hall and meeting rooms are used for Church functions, Church member’s functions, and the meetings of several non-profit organizations including the Ho-Ho-Kus Women’s Club and Alcoholic Anonymous.

The original Church was a one-room schoolhouse built in 1871 and located on Hollywood Avenue. It was converted for Church use in 1904. In 1948 it was moved to the present site and attached to the existing Parish Hall. It was then enlarged to its present size in the early 1950’s. It can seat 180 for worship. Perhaps its most unusual feature is the hammered and etched glass windows produced in Holland and designed by Adrian Hamers, a noted silversmith and designer of church wares (www.adrianhamers.com). George Clark, himself a noted architect and member of the parish who designed the expansion of the Church was a friend of Adrian’s and had worked with him on other projects. The windows in the nave depict the articles of faith in the Apostle’s Creed. Those in the sanctuary depict the Binding of Isaac and the Crucifixion.

In 1996 St. Bartholomew’s was able to purchase the adjacent property on which stood one of the oldest houses in town. Parts of the house date to 1820. The house was renovated and updated while maintaining it’s original antique appearance. It now serves as the Rectory. The house sits on Sheridan Avenue but its property extends behind it to Sycamore Avenue. This additional property was subsequently developed into a park-like setting for church functions and for the Memorial Garden.

 

See Jesus Home Page

See Us Home Page

St. Bartholomew's Home Page

 

 
         
© 2015 St. Bartholomew's Church